If you were a long-term resident (with a residence permit of more than five years) and you have been away from Spain for over 12 months, you can regain you legal residence through the Spanish Consulate in your place of residence. If you are in Spain, you must apply in the nearest Aliens Office to your address.

The criteria currently used to obtain this new residence is:

  • Lack of criminal record.
  • Not to be in Spanish territory illegally.
  • Not to be banned from entering the country.
  • Not suffering from any of the diseases that may have serious public health impact.

Those who have opted to voluntary return can also request it once they have finished their commitment not to return.

Required documents:

  1. Copy of the passport.
  2. Criminal record certificate of the country of origin.
  3. Medical certificate.

NOTE: All the documents of the country of origin must be translated to Spanish and undergo legalization or be attached an apostille.



For those who have returned to their country of origin with a temporary residence card, it is also possible to return to Spain as long as they have renounced expressly and with a written resignation before the Spanish Diplomatic Representation in their country of origin. You must have a contract of employment to request it.


If you need more information or further explanation, please do not hesitate to contact us.